THE IDEAL STARTING POINT
We are in front of Mount Amiata and Radicofani, at the border between the Regions Lazio and Toscana, located at KM 60 of the state road Maremmana.
This road was built in 1830 by the Grand Duke of Tuscany Leopoldo II di Lorena, who continued the enlightened policy of his father Ferdinando III di Lorena and of the mother Maria Luisa Amelia di Borbone.
The construction of the road was carried out to connect the Via Aurelia with the Via Cassia to connect Lake Bolsena with the Tyrrhenian Sea.
TROUGH HISTORY AND CULTURE
During your stay it will be possible to dedicate pleasant moments discovering Historical, Archaeological, and naturalistic aspects, such as the “Tuff Towns” (Pitigliano, Sovana, Sorano, and Vitozza) with their large and important Etruscan necropolis, that are tangible sings of the glorious past of our land.
For the ones who want to spend a day into the great Archaeology, we will be glad to provide them all the directions to reach easily Rome and to visit it in the best way. Only with a short drive, it is possible to take the railway line and in less of two hours you can reach the strategic Colosseo Station. Next to it there are all the famous tourist attractions. The trip costs €10,00 per person. Using the same railway line you can also get to Vatican City Station.
THERMAL BATHS JUST AROUND THE CORNER
Few minutes drive from the Farmhouse there are two important thermal baths, where care for the body and mind await you.
The Thermal Baths are:
- Sorano Therms (9 km). These Therms have a water rich in mineral salts (sulfate, calcium, and magnesium), is bacteriologically pure, and emerges at a temperature of 37.5°C. Thanks to the information given by the ancient Pieve di Santa Maria dell'Aquila, we know that their origin is for the first time documented in an Imperial diploma of 1210 d.C..
- Saturnia Therms (25 km). With their medical sulphurous water, Saturnia Therms are worldwide famous. The ancient Romans sought their origins in the Esiodo's Poem. The temperature is 37°C and the rate of flow is 800 liters per second.
Ecology and Parks
- Nature reserve “Mount Rufeno” in Acquapendente – km 20. It extends for almost 3,000 hectares and it contains the “Museo del Fiore” (lit. Flower Museum).
- Mount Amiata (altitude 1738 m) – km 40.
- “Selva del Lamone” in Farnese – km 20. Nature reserve of Adriatic oak wood (2,000 hectares). It's not recommended adventuring on your own into the wood. Ask to the Farnese Information Office.
- “Grotta dei Pipistrelli” (lit. Bats Cave) in Castell'Azzara with stalactites and stalagmites. - km 20.
- “Parco dei Mostri” (lit. Monster Park) or Sacred Wood in Bomarzo – km 60. Around 1550 Pier Francesco Orsini created it. The monsters are made from vulcanic rock.
- “Parco della Maremma” (lit. Maremma Park) – km 70.
- Tennis courts in Pitigliano – km 8.
- Soccer fields in Sorano – km 8.
- Tennis courts in Gradoli – km 8.
- Horse-riding Tourism Center – km 10.
- Association of Horse Racing – km 1,2.
- Riding School in Sorano – km 8.
- Wellness Therms in Pitigliano – km 7.
- Ancient SPA Therms in Sorano – km 7.
- Saturnia Spa Therms – km 30.
- “Terme dei Papi” in Viterbo – km 40.
- “Santuario del Cerreto” – km 4. On the afternoon of 19 May 1853, the Virgin appeared to the vererable Veronica Nucci.
- “Cappella del Miracolo” (lit. Miracle Chapel) in Bolsena – Into this Chapel happened the Eucaristic miracle. A Bohemian priest, who was saying Mass at the tomb of St.Christine, witnessed blood coming out from the consacrated Host.
- “Santuario della Madonna del Monte” (lit. Sanctuary of the Virgin Mount) in Marta - km 25. Here is venerated the image of the Virgin that appeared to three girls on 19 May 1948.
- “Santuario della Madonna della Quercia” (lit. Sanctuary of the Oak Virgin) in Viterbo - km 40. Every year, after a sacred procession, the mayor of Viterbo renews “Il Patto d'Amore” (lit. The Pact of love).
Sea and Beaches
- Montalto di Castro – km 45.
- Albinia (Orbetello, Porto Ercole, Porto Santo Stefano, Monte Argentario) - km 60.
Vitozza - 4 km
The largest rupestrian settlement of the central Italy with 200 caves of various shapes and sizes.
Inside it, you can visit:
- Ruins of the “Tre Rocche” (lit. three Castles).
- Caves that were used for habitations.
- Caves that were used for rescuing animals.
- Caves for use promiscuous.
- Colombaria (I sec. a.C. - I sec. d.C.).
Pitigliano - 8 km
"The Tuff City" built on a cliff above the Lente, Meleta, and Prochio Rivers.
- Medici Aqueduct.
- Orsini Palace. (XI – Xvsec.)
- Dome of St. Peter and St. Paul (XVII sec.).
- Walk along the Medieval District of Capisotto.
- Church of Santa Maria or Church San Rocco. (XII sec.)
- Sovana's Door.
- Jewish ghetto and Jewish Sinagogue.
- Civic Archaeological Museum. (Etruscan Finds of gold, bronze, bucchero, Villanovan and Corinthian ceramic, from the nearby Buco necropolis)
- Etruscan necropolis with: pit graves ( VII VI sec. a.C.), chamber graves.
- Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie.
- Open-air museum.
Sorano - 8 km
Sorano arises on a tuff spur over the valley of the River Lente.
- Orsini Fortress. (a part built on 1000 – 1100 and a part built on 1500)
- Church of St. Nicholas.
- Palazzo Comitale. (official residence of Orsini family)
- Masso Leopoldino. (obtained from a natural rock plateau)
- Merli's Door.
- Necropolis of San Rocco with colombaria and chamber graves.
- Etruscan “Vie Cave”. (ancient streets)
- Sanctuary of Cerreto. (lit. oak wood, on the road between San Quirico and Sorano)
Gradoli - 10 km
The village is located on the hills around Volsini mountains on the road for Lake Bolsena.
Grotte di Castro - 14 km
This village is perched on a tuff plateau and gives the impression of a crib.
- Civic Museum separated in two sections: etruscan and medieval.
- Necropolis of Pianezze. (VII-VI sec. a.C.)
Sovana - 15 km
Unforgettable out of time village, Sovana is considered the jewel of the rupestrian Maremma and of the etruscan civilization.
To see, into the city:
- Birth home of Pope Gregory VII.
- Chatedral of St Peter. (sec. XI-XII)
- Church of San Mamiliano. (sec. VII-IX)
- Church of Santa Maria. (sec. XII)
- “Loggia del Capitano”. (with the coat of arms of Cosimo I De' Medici)
- Bourbon Palace - Del Monte. (sec. XVI)
- “Palazzetto dell'Archivio”. (rebuilt on the centuries XII- XIII)
- Pretorio Palace. (sec. XII-XIII)
- “Rocca Aldobrandesca”. ( An important forress sec. XI-XII)
To see, into the Necropolis:
- Coffered colombaria. (IV- III sec. a.C.)
- “Il Cavone Etrusco”. (lit. the big etruscan cave)
- Cube graves. ( III- II sec. a.C.)
- Chamber graves. (IVsec. a.C.)
- Semi-cube graves. (III-II sec. a.C.)
- Tomba del Tifone. (lit. Tomb of the Typhoon; III-Il s e e. a. C.)
- Tomba della Sirena. (lit. Tomb of the Siren; III-II sec. a.C.)
- Tomba del Sileno. (lit. Tomb of the Slenus; III-Il sec. a.C)
- Vie Cave. (ancient paths)
Reserve of Mount Penna - 15 km
This nature reserve extends for more than 1000 hectares with woods with karst phenomena.
It is possible to see a lot of different animals like foxes, porcupines, boars, roe deers, weasels, and martens. There are many species of rare birds: buzzards, and owls. There are also many colonies of bats that live in the numerous caves and cavities of the rock.
Regional nature reserve of Lamone - 16 km
Dante described this reserve at the beginning of the first Cantica of the Inferno:
"Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura,
ché la diritta via era smarrita.
Ahi quanto a dir qual era è cosa dura
esta selva selvaggia e aspra e forte
che nel pensier rinova la paura!"
From this “Selva” the poet took the inspiration for the Incipit of his masterwork "La Divina Commedia".
Le Vie Cave
Sacred enigmatic paths: winding corridors carved into the tuff rock. Frequently these paths are parallel, in other cases these are interwined concentrically or on a curvilinerar way. The Estruscans carved the “Vie Cave” 3000 years ago around Pitigliano, Sovana, and Sorano. Some of these are 20 m deep, 4 m long and more than 1 km long, others are narrow and winding.
Bolsena - 20 km
This location is known for the miracle of the Corpus Domini (1263).
- Collegiate Church with the “Cappella del miracolo”.
- Castel Monaldeschi of the Cervara. (XIII-XIV sec.)
- Territorial Museum of Lake Bolsena.
- “Palazzo del Drago”.
The Lake Bolsena is the largest volcanic lake of the Europe and sits inside the crater of the mountains. (perimeter 63 km, maximum depth 146 m) Two islands emerge: Bisentina and Martana. The first can be visited with speedboats departing from Bolsena or Capodimonte.
Capodimonte - 25 km
Wonderful tree-lined beach on Lake Bolsena that faces the Island Bisentina.
Saturnia - 25 km
Renowned location, Saturnia is famous for its thermal springs. The village is of Etruscan origin.
- Thermal springs with sulfurous water. (37°C)
- “Cascatelle del Mulino”. (lit. Little Falls of the Mill - public and free)
- Necropolis of the Puntone. (V-IV sec. a.C.)
- Roman's Door. (Imperial age)
- “Via Clodia”. (Imperial age)
- Parish church.
- “Bagno Secco”. (Imperial age)
Tuscania - 30 km
A lot of necropolis attest the Etruscan period.
- Necropolis of the “Madonna dell'ulivo”. (the “Tomba della Regina” is the most famous. It has a number of different mazes and almost thirty tunnels)
- Necropolis of “Pian di Mola”.
- Necropolis “Peschiera”.
- Necropolis “Carcarella”.
- Church of St. Peter.
- Church of Santa Maria Maggiore.
- National Archaeological Museum with gravestone furnishing from Etruscan families.
Orvieto - 35 km
Ancient town of Etruscan origin built on a rock plateau.
- The Dome. (1278)
- The People's Palace.
- Pozzo San Patrizio: a well 62 m deep and 13 m large. It has 1496 stairs that create an ingenious system of two spiral staircases that never meet. (1527)
- Etruscan necropolis.
Vulci - 40 km
Its origins date back to IX sec. a.C.. On 280 was conquered by the Roman Empire. The inhabitants were forced to move to the actual location of Cosa.
- Tombs François. (IV sec. a.C.)
- Tombs adjacent to François .
- Castle of the Badia. (1600 - 1700)
- Etruscan museum.
- Bridge of the Badia or of the Devil.
- Etruscan Temple.
- “Domus del Criptoportico”. (Late Imperial age)
Civita di Bagnoregio - 40 km
Splendid village known by the name of “Il paese che muore” (lit. the dying village). The atmosphere is particularly suggestive thanks to the many Etruscan and roman evidences and to the medieval houses around the village.
- The Door of Santa Maria.
- The Cave of San Bonaventura.
- The Church of San Donato.
Viterbo - 45 km
Known as "Città dei Papi" (lit. City of the Popes) because between 1200 and 1300 it was the permanent residence of several popes.
- Cathedral of San Lorenzo. (XII sec.)
- “Palazzo dei Papi”. (lit. Popes' Palace) (1255-1267, where the first and longest conclave in history was convened from 1268 to 1271)
- Museum “Colle del Duomo”.
- Farnese Palace”. (XV sec.)
- Church of Santa Maria Nuova. (prior to 1080 in pure Romanesque style)
- Quarter San Pellegrino.
- Church of San Sisto. (IX sec.)
- Great Fountain. (1206-1279)
- Museum of Ceramics.
- Church of San Giovanni Evangelista. (XII sec.)
- Sanctuary of Santa Rosa.
- Church of San Francesco. (XIII sec.)
- National Museum.
- Church of St Faustino and St Giovita. (XIII sec.)
- “Palazzo dei Priori”. (XIII sec.)
- Church Sant'Angelo in Spatha. (XI sec.)
- Civic Museum. (archaeological section, historical and artistic section, applied arts section and important historical collections)
- Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Quercia.
- Ex voto Museum.
- “Terme dei Papi”. (lit. Popes' Therms)
- Rupestrian Necropolis of Castel D'Asso.
- Rupestrian Necropolis of Norchia.
Tarquinia - 60 km
Tarquinia is the Etruscan city par excellence. It is famous for its tombs decorated with the most archaic paintings of the Italic civilization. There are almost six thousand tombs, including about sixty of them decorated with wall paintings.
- Vitelleschi's Palace. (1436-1439)
- Church of Santa Maria in Castello.
- Church of San Martino. (1051)
- Church of Annunziata. (XII sec.)
- Church of St Pancrazio. (XII-XIII sec.)
- Archaeological Park. (frescoed tombs from the VII to the IV sec. A.c.)
It is possible to visit the following tombs: “dei Giocolieri” (lit. of the Jugglers), “delle Leonesse” (lit. of the Lioness), “delle Fustigazioni”(lit. ff the Floggings), “dei Leopardi” (lit. of the Leopards), “dei Caronti”, “dei Fiori di Loto” (lit. of the Lotus Flowers), “dei Cardarelli”, “dei Baccanti”(lit of the Bacchantes), “delle Gorgoneion”.